Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Nickel Jars


So we have been having some big issues with our boys sassing. I mean teenage extra rude sass. They also are extremely aggressive with eachother. I have heard that with boys especially that is normal. But seriously? I had been doing time out and all that, but it didn't seem to matter. They really didn't care when they got in trouble, they would laugh or smile the whole time. Which would of course just make me that much madder. Then when they got out they would do the same things again. I was at a loss of what to do, so I rememberd that when we were younger we could earn nickels and get them put into our own nickel jar.

So we had a family home evening and taught them about money, and saving. Then we decided to start the nickel jars. I had decorated them earlier in the day, and then we explained that everytime they were nice to their brother or sister, shared their things, or said okay mom without arguing, they would earn a nickel. However, if they were rude to us or one of their siblings, took toys, sassed, or told us no, then they would get them taken away. So we then proceeded to explain that they could save their nickels, or wait until the end of the month and they could pick out a toy to buy with their money. Cruze informed us that he was going to save up his money for a motorcycle. I said,"Oh a toy motorcycle?" He said, "No mom a big one like Grandpa's." Then further on into the night he said, "Oh and a big boat too, I'll even let you and dad have a ride on it."

We have been doing it for a week now, and it is working like a charm. There are random "Okay mom's" when I am not even talking to them, and they help let me know when the other one said okay and I didn't hear it. Overall it is a success so far. Just a thought on something new to try. We are loving it!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this idea!!! We are going to start it tonight and hope it goes well...is it still going well for you guys?

    ReplyDelete